IVAO Indonesia and India Division proudly present you our regular bi-annual airbridge connecting Medan (ICAO: WIMM) and Chennai (ICAO: VOMM). Event is scheduled for Saturday, 14th January 2017 from 1100Z to 1630Z.
All participating flights will be departing from Medan (ICAO: WIMM) from 1100Z and arriving at destination Chennai (ICAO: VOMM). ATC Services will be available through out the region from departure to arrivals. In this event, flights will be using ETOPS (Extend-range Twin engine Operations) procedures which will be listed below on the pilot briefing.
Local time for the start of event in different cities on 14th January 2017:
Local Time Medan (WIB)
Local Time Chennai (IST)
UTC Time / Zulu
There are estimated 50,000 (this are indicative figures) Indians and PIOs living in the entire Sumatra region, mostly Tamils speaking Hindus and Muslims from Parangipetta, Malabar region of Kerala and from Uttar Pradesh, Sikh traders and farmers from Punjab and Sindhis. Most of them are based in and around North Sumatra Province. Other provinces such as of South Sumatra, Jambi, Riau and Aceh also have sizeable Indian communities.
During the latter part of 19th century and early part of 20th century, large number of Indians were brought as plantation workers, later they settled as traders, farmers and money lenders. In 1930s, the number of Indians was around 30,000*. At the time of Second World War it went down to around 20,000* but after 1947 and 1950s their numbers went up once again and today the Indian community forms a sizable part of the local population.
There have been free exchange of ideas customs and traditions between the Indian Community and local Sumatra population. The Indian community had adjusted and incorporated several elements from the Sumatran Society. They are well blended with Malais and Bataks. The predominant Tamil and Punjabi groups have freely exchanged elements from the Indonesian society. There are four sikh gurudwaras in Medan itself and at least three in other places in Sumatra. Around 20 temples used to exist in the past out of which 10 have regular visitors. The gurudwaras and Tamil temples in Sumatra region are managed by efficient local communities. The Perkumpulan Masyarakat India-Indonesia (PMII), i.e. Indonesian-Indian Community Association, Medan, is one such example. It has been organizing festivals, celebrating Durga Puja, Gandhi Jayanti, Independence Day and Republic Day regularly.
Originally, a large number of migrated people were holding Indian passports. According to the statistical year book of Indonesia, in 1977-1978, there are about 10,0000* Indians and PIOs in Indonesia, out of which 40,000* were in Sumatra alone. Over the years, the number of persons holding Indian citizenship had been increasing. Most of the Indian nationals have come as expatriates. They are employed in various sectors such as Corporate, Services, Infrastructure, Engineering, Hotels and Tourism etc. A large number of Indian expatriates are saturated in the Batam Industrial Area in the Sinar Mas group, the April Group at Kerinci etc. About a dozen Indians are engaged in the pulp & rayon factories at Porsea near Parapat. Besides, a large number of representatives of Indian trading companies are based in Padang, Bukittinggi in West Sumatra.
To make your flying experience better, we will be providing full and quality ATC Services on the entire flight route from Medan to Chennai and both the divisions assure you the best flying experience through the oceanic track.
List of all ATC Positions for this event:
- Jakarta Radar – WIIZ_BA_CTR – 128.30 MHz
- Jakarta Radar – WIIZ_M_CTR – 133.20 MHz
- Medan Approach – WIMM_APP – 119.700 MHz
- Kula Namu Tower – WIMM_TWR – 118.600 MHz
- Kuala Namu Ground – WIMM_GND – 130.300 MHz
- Chennai Oceanic Radio Control – VOMX_CTR – 126.150 MHz
- Chennai Control – VOMM_CTR – 118.900 MHz
- Chennai Approach – VOMM_APP – 127.900 MHz
- Chennai Tower – VOMM_TWR – 118.100 MHz
- Chennai Ground – VOMM_GND – 121.900 MHz
- Duration of Flight is 2hrs 30 to 45mins (max).
- All Pilots must make a booking of your flight for this Air Bridge event to issue award points.
- Pilots don’t find suitable call sign can book Private Flight on the Flight Booking System.
- Maximum ONE flight booking for a Pilot.
- For this event we have scheduled all the international airline call sign from India and Indonesia.
- All Departure Flights from Medan (ICAO: WIMM) to Chennai (ICAO: VOMM) – Pilots are advised to be online before 10 minutes prior departure and requesting to contact Kuala Namu Ground WIMM_GND @ 130.300 MHz only at the scheduled UTC time of your flight at the assigned gates as per your flight booking.
- You must download all the necessary aeronautical charts and also make sure Chennai (ICAO: VOMM) and Medan (ICAO: WIMM) Scenery are installed on your Simulator. You may download the free 3D scenery from links below.
- Follow RT Instruction, when you join a frequency please wait for 5-10 seconds before you transmit.
- Departure Airport: Kuala Namu International Airport, Medan – Indonesia (ICAO: WIMM)
- Arrival Airport: Chennai International Airport, Chennai – India (ICAO: VOMM)
- Route: ANSAX P574 GIRNA V6 AVGIR
- Distance: 1250nm
- Duration: 2hrs 30mins/45mins
- Alternate Airport: Hyderabad Rajiv Ghandi International Airport – India (ICAO: VOHS)
In this event, Pilots will be using ETOPS (Extend-range Twin engine Operations) that sometimes is necessary to permit twin engine aircraft to operate over very long sectors where the range from a suitable alternate aerodrome will exceed the maximum laid down in regulations. This maximum is laid down by national authorities and is normally the distance corresponding to 60 minutes flight time at the single engine cruise speed in still air conditions. Basically any two-engine aircraft operating for an airline must be within 60 minutes of the nearest suitable airport with one engine inoperative.
Time is always calculated without wind components for ETOPS except for EEP/EXP/ETP Points. So, What is EEP/EXP/ETP?
- EEP is ETOPS Entry Point, this point is the point on route when the ETOPS segment ends.
- EXP is ETOPS Exit Point, this point is the point on route when the ETOPS segment ends.
- ETP is ETOPS Equal Time Point, this point is equal time point between two suitable diversion alternates.
More information about ETOPS: https://www.ivao.aero/training/documentation/books/atp_sec_etops.pdf
PRIVATE/VIP/CARGO FLIGHT BOOKING (DISABLED CURRENTLY)
India Division Flight booking will automatically reward 1 point towards Pilot Event Award upon successful flight from Medan to Chennai. If you had participated in the recent events you may check your pilot award points by Clicking Here.
- IVAO Official Forum Discussion
- ATC Booking – India Division
Events Coordinator – India
Events Coordinator – Indonesia
IVAO India and Indonesia Medan to Chennai previous year Arrival timelapse video at Chennai by Shrikar Galgali